Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Homemade Dog Food and Treats

Since I'm concerned about my dog's health, I've decided it is time to start cooking for the little pooch. The whole scare about what's in my dog food and how healthy is it for my darling pup, worries me enough to do prepare healthy dog food right in my kitchen.

Some tips for making your own dog food.
  1. Talk to your dog's vet for advice about what foods you should avoid giving your dog.
  2. Talk to your dog's vet about how much food you should give your dog each day.
  3. Don't follow just any old recipe you find online. I've seen some recipes with foods you should definately avoid giving to dogs. Be sure to check the list of foods to avoid.
  4. Store your dog's food properly. If it's wet food, (stews or casseroles) it probably needs stored in the refrigerator. Some kibbles need stored in the refrigerator too.
  5. If it is spoiled and you wouldn't eat it, do not feed it to your dog.
  6. Introduce new foods to your dog gradually. Changing your dog's meal plan over night can make for a very sick dog and messy cleanup.

Have fun baking and cooking for your pooch!

No comments:

Homemade Dog Food Recipes

In order to feed my pets healthy foods, I think it's best if I make dog food in my own kitchen. I have a lot of recipes I will be sharing.

Check with your vet for more information about your dog's nutritional needs.